[Towertalk] Re: [Antennas] WTB base "stick" antenna for 160-162 mHz

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: [Antennas] WTB base "stick" antenna for 160-162 mHz
From: W1GOR@Maine.RR.Com (W1GOR)
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 21:58:09 -0500
If all you want to do is listen, you don't have to spend so much on your
antenna...  A simple 3dBd groundplane will do just fine.   Your 'listening
range' will depend more on height than gain...  A high gain stick for the
railroad band will cost you quite a bit of money.   Before I retired, I was
employed by a large commuter railroad.   We generally spent over $500 a
piece for 6dBd Decibel Products PD-220 Stationmaster antennas...  Are you
sure that you want to spend that much...just to listen...?   The PD-220 is a
rugged, 22 foot stick... I'd love to have one for 2 meters, but there's no
way I'd spend that much money...unless I was operating a repeater on a very
tall tower...and then, I'd have to 'feed it' with Andrew 7/8 inch Heliax at
$6 per foot... and $65 for each connector...  Considering all of that, are
you really sure you want that high gain stick...?

73, Larry - W1GOR