Re: [TowerTalk] RF exposure and my neighbor

To: "Arne Gjerning" <gjerning@flash.net>, <hdmc38@bellsouth.net>,"Todd Coulter" <coulter@bellsouth.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RF exposure and my neighbor
From: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 23:54:09 -0400
There is a site http://n5xu.ae.utexas.edu/rfsafety/  that has fill in the
blanks forms for RF levels.  It's easy to use and allows "what if"
calculations.  Just do a set for each band at your highest power level.
Conversely you can figure out just how high a power you can run for a given
distance.

I did them for all bands, but you will find you can get within a few feet of
simple antennas.  Beams, or gain antennas OTOH at 20, 15, and 10 are a bit
more sensitive.

Exposure levels are highly sensitive to frequency.

It works out that 2-meters is probably the most sensitive to RF exposure
levels.
Here I can run the legal limit on all bands in the "un-controlled
environment" except for 2-meters where my calculated limit into the array is
only 380 watts.  Being I'm only pushing 50 watts into 228 feet of LMR-400 I
don't think I have much to worry about.

Based on what we do know and what we don't, were it not for the regulations
it would probably be a non issue.  The "non ionizing" radiation exposure
levels were calculated based on experiments that may, or may not be all that
representative of heating in the human body.  They came up with a value and
multiplied it by ten to be on the safe side.

Any one using an HT much far exceeds the allowable levels which don't take
effect below either 100 or 200 watts. So, last I knew if a station only runs
a basic rig without a power amp they don't even have to figure exposure
levels.  That may have changed.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com

> I was looking into this at work for a 2KW 5GHz system with 6ft dishes and
> located an FCC site that should be of interest.  There is info relating to
> Amateur Radio Stations and it is very thorough (60 printed pages).  Do a
> search for FCC and within FCC site search for OET Bulletuin 65 Supplement
B.