RE: [TowerTalk] Ground radials- the long and short of it

To: "'Jim Bowman'" <ks1j@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Ground radials- the long and short of it
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:11:01 -0000
Yes, and even more when buried.  The velocity of propagation is
proportional to the square root of the dielectric constant if I remember
correctly, and soil is a good dielectric.  Think about it this way,
.14/.25 is a velocity factor of .56, not much different than coax cable
dielectrics.  The problem is more complicated because wire sitting on
the ground only sees an infinite half plane of material, but its close
enough for amateur work.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net