[TowerTalk] Ham Radio Tower & Lightening

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ham Radio Tower & Lightening
From: "Barbara H Mitchell" <mitchell659@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 11:22:15 -0400
This concerns a problem my neighbors and I are experiencing concerning
lightening.  The houses in the neighborhood are close together (14' between
houses), all are on water, and most of them have either motor yachts or
sailboats.  My immediate neighbor has a huge ham radio tower - possibly
illegally.  About a year ago, lightening struck a mast on my lift which put a
huge hole through the boat, a huge hole in my pool deck, and also destroyed a
large portion of the pool deck foundation.  The 'blast' also killed my
computer, telephone system, and lots of electrical wiring in my house.  A
transformer in front of my house has been struck by lightening several times.
Last night at a party directly across the canal from me, lightening struck the
host's sailboat mast, knocking out electronic equipment.  All the neighbors
have had problems with conversations from the ham operator coming through
intercom systems, computer speakers, etc.

The owner of the tower has insisted all along that there is an umbrella
protection from lightening; we all believed him.  He is a very difficult person
to get along with, so confronting him is useless.

My question is:  Is there such a 'thing' as umbrella protection from his tower,
or is the tower attracting the lightening?  Could this be a problem with a lack
of proper grounds?

I would really appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Thank you.