Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Consult

To: "Dick, W1KSZ" <w1ksz@earthlink.net>,"TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Consult
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 18:20:46 -0400
It basically depends on what you want to do, how much room you have and how
good a shape you are in.

>I recently retired and am planning to re-locate to Tucson, AZ (from
> Lexington, MA). I am in the enviable position of rebuilding the shack
> and putting up a new antenna system.
> At present, I have narrowed the choice of towers to either 80' of
> Rohn 45 or an 80' Universal Aluminum Free-Standing tower.
> On top I am looking at a Tennadyne 8 or 10 el HF Log with a 6 Meter
> antenna above that (10' separation).

That's quite a wind load.

> The Rohn is the "classic" approach but the Universal is very inviting.
> First, no guys are required but it takes a lot more concrete in the base.
> Also, not sure how easy it would be for two guys to climb it to install
> the antennas.

The 45 G is very solid and roomy enough for two to easily work at the same
elevation.
OTOH I did all of the tower work solo (in my mid 60s), with one or two
helpers on the ground to pull on the rope to the gin pole and move *stuff*
around.

For me it'd be more comfortable climbing the ROHN. I don't like going above
the last  set of guys.

> The Rohn, while adequate, has it's drawbacks. Namely three sets of Guys
> and three more concrete piers.

That's what make it strong.
The self supporting is more "elegant" and less obtrusive. OTOH I'd not be
comfortable putting what I have up on a self supporting tower.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower29.htm
Were I to do it again I'd probably go with a pair of crank up, self
supporting towers.

Unfortunately a medical problem is currently keeping me from finishing up
the work I had going, but I *hope* to be back at it in the not too distant
future.

> I would appreciate comments on my "predicament" and suggestions are
> welcome.

73

Roger (K8RI)