Re: [TowerTalk] Take off angles, VOACAP, etcf.

To: "Guy Olinger, K2AV" <olinger@bellsouth.net>,"W3YY" <w3yy@cox.net>, "TowerTalk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Take off angles, VOACAP, etcf.
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 05:38:12 -0700
I very much agree.
I found ON4UN's list of stations and antennas quite interesting.

But just how deep is that null for near the horizon for the dipole at 40
feet?  In real life, I'll bet it's not all that bad.
Even if it's 20 dB down from the peak, if propagation is open, then the
proverbial 1 watt and a wet noodle will get through, particularly for a
narrow band mode like CW or slow digital, but, the other guy has to be
listening. And, of course, the propagation might only be open for a few
minutes at a time.  I admit that VOACAP isn't well suited to this sort of
operation.