Re: [TowerTalk] What Killed the Computers? was: Re: Grounding ofAmateur

To: "'Jim Lux'" <jimlux@earthlink.net>,"'Pete Smith'" <n4zr@contesting.com>,"'Jim Brown'" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,"'Tower Talk List'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What Killed the Computers? was: Re: Grounding ofAmateur Radio installations
From: "WA3GIN in Alex. City, VA" <wa3gin@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 19:56:23 -0500
None damages as far as you know...solid state devices don't always die
immediately...some fail months or years later from small burnt spots in the
solid state material of the devices.  In other words the longevity of the
device may be significantly reduced rather than experiencing an immediate
poooof.

I use UPS on my end points (those boxes have the corcom type chokes and the
30 cent MOVs, etc. Unlike you Jim we live in a lightning alley where
voltages vary a lot.  I've replaced quit a few 130v MOVs and I'm happy to do
it.  While my neighbors are replacing coffee makers, TVs, refrigerators,
telephone answering machines, etc. I just plug-in another MOV ;-)

73,
dave
wa3gin