[Towertalk] RE: [YCCC] 4-square vs 40-2CD

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] RE: [YCCC] 4-square vs 40-2CD
From: k1ttt@arrl.net (David Robbins)
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 18:04:50 -0000
Interesting.  But you should really compare them over a longer period,
especially during good spring or fall propagation.  In many years of
experience here a full size 4-square with only 4 radials raised about 5'
has performed better than a 40-2cd at 60' on long paths into Russia and
asia. It was sometimes as good as a 40-2cd at 120'.  Now that the
40-2cd's are at 90' and 180' it is rarely as good as either one.  The
main advantages I see in having both is that the f/b of the 4 square is
better so sometimes it hears better, the takeoff angle is different so
sometimes it is better on some paths, it is good for a quick switch in
direction when getting called by an LU or JA when working Europe, and it
is vertical which provides a choice of polarization(though this doesn't
seem as important as it is on 80m and 160m).

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net

Dick
> Green
> Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 17:51
> To: CONTEST; Tower; YCCC
> Subject: [YCCC] 4-square vs 40-2CD
>
> And the winner is...
>
> I just had the rare opportunity to compare two very different 40m
antennas
> "side-by-side" and thought the results would be of interest. I've had
> 40m
> 4-square with 60 buried radials per element for about five years.
> Yesterday,
> I put a used 40-2CD at the top of a 50-foot AB-577/GRC portable guyed
> military surplus mast (HD-73 rotor) and compared the two antennas.
There