RE: [TowerTalk] SteppIR Redux

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] SteppIR Redux
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@centurytel.net>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 16:46:21 -0700
> Figure out how to make the elements of retractable tubing, so when not in
use, they collapse down to 3 feet (each side) or whatever.  This would
reduce the 2
> element antenna to the size of a TV antenna when not in use.  This might
be a big advantage for restricted QTH's.

Here's an even better idea for a low-profile antenna.  Figure out how to
drive the retractable tubing from the PTT line so that it unrolls Very
Quickly when the transmitter is on and then retracts when the transmitter is
off.  Scaling up those little party noisemakers might work.  Noise would be
optional as would the feathers on the end. I'm not sure whether you'd have
to wear a party hat or not.

73, Ward N0AX
(also a SteppIR owner)