Re: [TowerTalk] ballpark costs for a tower (installed)

To: "Jim Idelson" <k1ir@designet.com>,"TowerTalk Post" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ballpark costs for a tower (installed)
From: "Don Bozarth" <drboz@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:57:45 -0700
Having just gone through the process of erecting a 55' crankup, I offer the
following.

    1. Here in CA each county has different regulations for towers.  In my
area, the tower had to withstand 75mph wind and C exposure.  Which in this
case translated to no go for the US Towers TX-455.. I had to go to the
HDX-555.  TX-455 = $1,789 to HDX-555 =$2,679. Ouch!  Shipping was $380.

    2. I hired a concrete contractor to dig the hole, build the rebar cage,
and pour the concrete. This was a $2,800 bill.  The digging alone was $800.
And the best $800 I ever spent... they hit hardpan at 3' down.  This footing
is a 5' square, 7' deep.  That translates to 7 1/4 yards of concrete.

    3. Found a local ham with the US Towers erecting fixture... saved $489
that the fixture would have cost.  Two of us installed the rotor and mast
and erected the tower.  Easiest part of the project.

    4. There are two antennas up there (Force 12 XR-5 [20 thru 10, incl.
WARC] and an inverted V for 80/40), plus the rotor.  Cabling (150' coax x 2,
and 150' of 8 conductor rotor cable) ran about $200.  The rotor was $550.
The XR-5 was $1000 when I bought it.  The V (Spi-Ro D-56) was $120.

    5. Throw in 3 ground rods (5/8 x 8'), lightning protection for 2 coax
and one rotor cable plus some miscelaneous copper bar and some Kopr-Shield
(This stuff is expensive!) added another $200.

    6. Tools:  an often forgotten item... 2 - 1 1/8" open end/box wrenches,
an 1 11/16 socket, extension, and drive bar, and a BIG 2" crescent wrench
ran up another $150.

    7. I hired an expert to install the constructed antenna... at my age
getting up on top of a tower just isn't in the cards anymore.  He did
excellent work.... for another $300.

    8. The cost for the building permit was $294.

So:    $2,679    for the tower itself
            $380    shipping
         $2,800    the 'hole' and concrete
            $200    cabling
            $550    Rotor
         $1000     Yagi
           $120     Vee
           $200     Grounding
           $150     Tools
           $300     Antenna Installation
           $294     Building permit
         $8,673

At the beginning, I had assumed that I'd spend the better part of 10K on
this project... didn't miss that by much.  I figure it cost 9K... there
seemed always to be one more bolt, nut, clevis, or a whatchamacallit that
was needed at the last minute.

Don Bozarth
W6DRB