Re: [TowerTalk] (Repost) Engineering advice on above ground foundation

To: "'Kevin Normoyle'" <knormoyle@surfnetusa.com>, "'Tower Talk List'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] (Repost) Engineering advice on above ground foundation
From: "Hank Lonberg" <kr7x1@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 20:57:47 -0700
Kevin:

You are absolutely correct on this and I have been in e-mail
contact with Rudy concerning his foundation and was cc'ing the
list but it seems that those didn't get through. Richards post
just a bit ago has part of my response to him also. Apparently
the hole was excavated 3.5' deep and water started to seep
into the excavation. His contractor opted to place about 2' of
compacted gravel in the excavation as a base. This is just
fine and done quite often. They then poured the foundation on
this gravel and exposed 3.5' of the foundation above the
ground. The foundation is not floating, nor would it, on some
soup of soil it is in the dry and on compacted gravel which
for frost heave is another common way to handle the issue. It
should have been deeper as far as the gravel bed is concerned
but if the soil is fairly sandy then heave will not be much of
an issue. The bearing capacity of the gravel base is the same
as the existing soil. Any settlement will occur quite quickly
as the foundation weighs way more the tower and its antennas.
Any plumb adjustments will be easy to make utilizing the stub
legs and the stick built nature of the tower erection process.

Regards
Lonberg Design Group, Ltd.
H.S. Lonberg, P.E.,S.E. / KR7X
President