Re: [TowerTalk] WHOLE HOUSE SURGE SUPRESSORS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] WHOLE HOUSE SURGE SUPRESSORS
From: "Kenneth Goodwin" <krgoodwin@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 10:24:38 -0600
I've got a Leviton 51120-1 Whole House Surge Suppressor installed, as
previously mentioned it is nothing more than some big MOV's but it is in a
metal enclosure and has LEDs for status indication.  About $180.  I
installed it next to my (indoor) main panel and tied it into (my side) of
the main breaker.  I had a Joslyn installed at the front of MY 200 amp
service line but the power company made me take it off many years later.
They don't like any customer installed devices on the other side of the
meter even if you do own it and I would suggest nothing on the other side of
the main breaker.

The Leviton did nothing for me in a near lightning strike that hit a pine
tree about 300 feet from the house.  All the destructive energy came up the
ground side taking out a few things in some very odd places, i.e., the
contactor on the HVAC unit "furtherest" from the strike with no damage to
the HVAC unit nearest the strike.  With three near hits in 25 years, I have
found protecting the telephone and cable lines coming into the house to be
the top priority.  (Everything is above ground in my neighborhood)  Ken K5RG