[TowerTalk] To Pin!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] To Pin!
From: n2rd@arrl.net (Rajiv Dewan, N2RD)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 10:56:21 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Champlin <w0hh@grapevine.net>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, September 06, 1999 7:57 PM

> I have always pinned with my Yaesu G2800SDX. The clamshells show no
> signs of wear or cracking. I have done this with my 20M4 (114lbs). and
               ^^^^^
                          This (wear) is the key reason for pinning - IMHO.

Any one who has had a knurled nut slip in a tool the first time and get
stripped knows how
much harder it is to get any purhcase on it the second time.  The inside of
the clamps have
"teeth", made of cast aluminum that provide the gripping capacity.  Spin the
mast around
a few times and they begin to lose their grip. From then on it is a vicious
cycle of tightening
and slipping to the point where the clamp breaks.

Solution pin it and let the rotor (brakeless Yaesu 800 that I have) give.

The manufacturers' suggestion.

Regards,
Rajiv, N2RD