[Towertalk] Re: [Force 12 Talk] XR dilemma

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: [Force 12 Talk] XR dilemma
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 01:41:11 -0400
Actually NOT.

If you model it you will see that the pattern 3 db points on elevation
are 15 degrees through 75 degrees with a very broad maximum around 40
degrees. Straight up is a minimum on the pattern.

This is a GENERAL PURPOSE height that scales well to other bands. It
will behave the same as a 75 meter dipole at 93 feet or a 40 meter
dipole at 50 feet.

Also kindly remember that the point of the post was comparing this
antenna with a C31XR on 18.1, a frequency not in the C31XR design. I
was not trying to specify the killer antenna for 17 meters, just
emphasize the degraded idea of using the C31XR for that band.

A 20 foot high backyard dipole for 18.1 MHz WILL beat trying to use a
C31XR, particularly at the end of nearly 700 feet of coax as described
by the original poster.

Dipoles get a lot of bad press. They really are a solid simple
antenna. When the scores are added up at end of the contest, a lid
with a beam will be thrashed every time by a good op with a dipole.
Biggest db's of all are between the ears.