Re: [TowerTalk] concrete cost

To: "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>,<Greenacres113@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] concrete cost
From: "Tom Martin" <tmartin@chartermi.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 12:56:32 -0500
My first tower in the early 70's was a 50 foot Rohn 40G with a TA33, total
cost $10 if I took it down.  I waited for a concrete truck to be in the
neighborhood and got overage for free.  I had dug the hole earlier with a
shovel.  No charge for my labor.  I purchased a house bracket and attached
it to the two story house. I think the bracket was $20 at the time.  I
purchased a Ham M rotator, used, for about $50.  The coax was from AES in
Milwaukee.  This was the only new purchase.  I doubt if I invested more than
$100 for the whole project.  Since that time, my present system was in
excess of $3000 mainly for antenna removal contractor, concrete, backhoe,
welding services, and refurbishing of three beams, rotators, and new coax.
This is still cheap compared to other systems described on this reflector.
I can work anything I hear on 40 through 10 meters. I can't compete with the
big guns in the contests but I do a respectable job.  I hope that the
comments on here don't deter anyone from assembling a decent tower and
antenna system. It can be done for a lot less if you use take the time and
effort to look for some deals.  Of course here in the UP, we don't have to
worry about PE expenses and restrictions!

Tom W8JWN