Re: [TowerTalk] upper yagi noise--a reason?

To: <jimjarvis@comcast.net>, "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] upper yagi noise--a reason?
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:56:35 -0700
I think that the pstatic doesn't come from the charging event (the snow
flake or dust) but from the discharge events when the conductor is
sufficiently charged to discharge.  The energy/charge in a single raindrop,
snowflake, etc. is just too low. It's probably in the area of one or two
electrons per particle.

The usual impact charging mechanism (dust, steam, etc.) is that the
particles provide a fairly constant current input into the object being
charged.

Velocity doesn't have much effect on the charging, other than to increase
the maximum potential current, although there are some conflicting effects
that reduce that.

For purposes of illustration, consider a rain drop 0.1mm in diameter.  It
will have a capacitance (isolated sphere in free space) of about .01 pF, and
a limit voltage  (assuming 30kV/cm) of 150V.  That's a stored energy of
1E-10 Joule, and a charge of 1.5 picoCoulomb.

make the drops 1mm in diameter, and the capacitance is now 0.1 pF, and the
limiting voltage 1500V. The max charge is now 150 pC (since max charge goes
as the surface area, of course).  The stored energy, though, is still quite
small, around 0.1 microJoule.

Snow flakes are big, but have sharp edges, and carry as much charge.

I just don't think that most receivers can detect these microjoule events.
The charging impulse is going to be fairly short duration and broadband, so
the energy is spread over a fairly wide band. (no question that if it were a
microjoule in a narrow band it would be detectable)

On the other hand, a discharge event, from a 10 meter long rod 3 cm in
diameter (C of several thousand pF, charged to a few kV) is a fairly high
energy event (say, a few milliJoules), and, because it's from a resonant
structure, might well be narrower band (the travelling wave of the current
feeding the discharge will propagate along the element).

For comparison, a 10dB NF in 1kHz BW is -154 dBm, or 4E-13
microjoules/second.

There's a fairly complete literature on electrostatic charging by dust, etc.
Vollrath is one author to look for (he made a Van deGraaff type apparatus
using blowing dust as the charge carrier, rather than a belt).  There are
also reports in the literature of 3 foot sparks from the tops of sand dunes
at White Sands National Monument apparently from windblown dust charging.
And, of course, there is an enormous amount of literature when one starts
looking at electrostatic dust precipitators.