Re: [TowerTalk] 7-16 Din?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 7-16 Din?
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:34:27 -0400
If I had it to do over again, I'd probably use 7-16 DIN on my 1-5/8" and
7/8" heliax runs.

When I installed those runs back in 2006, I had a lot of trouble finding N
connectors for a reasonable price, especially for the 1-5/8" heliax, which I
had gotten for a song. 7-16 connectors were plentiful, but very expensive.
Also, all of my switching gear and equipment uses UHF connectors. My
recollection is vague on this, but I seem to remember not being able to find
a 7-16 to UHF adapter. Of course, since I use coax pigtails to connect the
heliax I could have used a solder or crimp-on PL-259 at one end and a 7-16
at the other, but I seem to recall having trouble finding 7-16 connectors
for 1/2" coax. Then there was the matter of a crimp die for 7-16, which I
didn't have.

I ended up scoring an incredible deal on a big box full of NOS male and
female 1-5/8" N connectors. That decided the issue. I picked up N connectors
for the 7/8" (one run of which was the gas-filled stuff) on ebay for a good
price. But that's sometime hit or miss.

73, Dick WC1M

Heliax