Re: [TowerTalk] Used Fall Harnesses

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Used Fall Harnesses
From: "D Calder" <towertalk@n4zkf.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 08:40:31 -0400
Correct, they don't. You can look at the string in it and see how good it
is. Before ending up in an office after climbing 15 years on Broadcast and
Wireless towers
I saw a little bit of everything being used. People riding the line, using
homemade chairs, winch's with friction brakes on a 5HP B&S engine. Just
about everything.

The point here is, your LIFE depends on it, gravity works, and why take a
chance over a few bucks? Buy NEW.

An new product from DBI-SALA, the Exofit-NEX harness, is now available. (I
don't work for them)

The following are some of the complaints with the current XP Type harness

.       Leg straps continually loosen during climbing activity on the
current Exofits.
.       Most frequent complaint is its too heavy
.       Engineered for general industry
.       Limited options for connecting trail-end of pelican hook increasing
the risk of hip-loading.
.       Sizing problems with regard to waist belt and harness size
.       The XP doesn't rate well with the current options available

The following are design improvements on the NEX Harness:

.       The new version has tear-away lanyard keepers to prevent hip
.       The Exofit-NEX is the next generation made specifically for tower
climbing
.       Increased 3-D mesh lining for better cooling
.       Built in pocket for two-way radio.
.       Stand-up back D-Ring with wear indicator
.       Impact indicators on the back straps, making gear inspections easier
.       Built in reflective tape for better visibility
.       Improved Quick-Connect buckle hardware
.       Includes trauma straps built in to prevent positional asphyxia.
.       The new version claims to be 5 times more abrasion resistant.
.       Most popular of all, it's lighter.

I attached a pic of their new harness. It looks nice!  Although I don't
climb but my own towers anymore so I'm still using my old one. But I want
one of these! NEW.