[Towertalk] Re: Fence update

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: Fence update
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 19:24:58 -0400
The coupling was from the radial field, which ran underneath the metal
fence, not from the vertical conductor. The height of the vertical's
feedpoint, given buried radials running under the fence, would not
have made any difference.

The issue with the fence was that it appeared as a flat metal
conductor of considerable surface area directly over the end of one of
the radial fields. This was in effect a very large capacitive coupling
to a VERY long conductor (the fence).

His ground (sandy loam) is not real high quality, so the fence was a
MUCH more attractive extension to the radial field than the dirt. The
manner of his radial layout tended to sectionalize the radials,
confining the effect mostly to the one near vertical.

It was like having 67 foot buried radials on all of the verticals and
suddenly extending ONE vertical's radials to a 1/4 mile, changing the
resonance of the one vertical, already tuned WITHOUT the fence in
place.

73