Re: [TowerTalk] Dayton 2004 Antenna Forum Papers now on the Web!

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK)" <richard@karlquist.com>,"Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dayton 2004 Antenna Forum Papers now on the Web!
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 07:17:03 -0700
The OWL kit is basically two copper plated rods and some jigs that allow you
to insert them into the soil at a precise distance apart.  You use a
standard impedance bridge to measure the impedance, and then some math gets
you to the soil properties.  George makes the important point that you MUST
do it with various depths of penetration to allow for correcting out: the
part of the line above the ground; the almost universal inhomogeneity at the
surface; and so forth.  I seem to recall 6" increments up to a couple or
three feet was the recommendation.

The original report is quite interesting to read, especially in terms of the
descriptions of the difficulty in making measurements at Livermore because
the ground was so hard.