Re: [TowerTalk] Exothermic/Cadwelds one shots etc...

To: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>, <N8DCJ@YAHOO.COM>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Exothermic/Cadwelds one shots etc...
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:46:28 -0400
Roger et al:

     Your photos bring back fond memories (?) of my driving the ground rods
into my back yard!  Ouch.  Thanks.

     The sand is a great idea.  In addition to plugging up the openings in
the mold, it will keep the wires in place while you pour in the charge
powder and set it off.  If you set up the splice as I did, i.e., unsupported
wires sticking out of the mold, they could move or drop out of the form just
as you set off the charge.  You can't see the position of the wires once you
pour in the powder and put the lid on the mold.

     I would recommend that the ceramic mold pieces be removed from the hole
before you cover up the ground rod.  The pieces of ceramic are pretty sharp
and, with freeze-thaw cycling in the ground, could nick the buried ground
wire.  Yes, there are rocks underground, too, that could do the same thing
to the wire.  But why not take a few seconds to clean out the ceramic.

     Thanks again for the photos.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F