Fw: [Towertalk] Newbie Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Fw: [Towertalk] Newbie Question
From: NN7K@reno.rmci.net (NN7K@reno.rmci.net)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 16:56:08 -0700
Tom, tho what you say is GENERALLY true, mught find this of interest-  Am a
6 meter op for the most part (for 35 + years!) have little use for "DC"
bands, however , on more than a few (started a couple-three  solar cycles
ago  !)  When worked a guy in PA.  from So. Oregon, running the "QRO" power
of 10 MILLIWATTS
(-20dBW )  and on lots of operations, during band openings, reduce my output
power (below where the meter shows current? Power?
no, all the way down ) , as far as the power control will go !  usually
leaves a impression on those that am in contact with!  Maybe not the "DX
KING" that some 6 ops are (tho I have the K.W. if needed), but am proud that
my W.A.S. is a QRP one , and of 50 mhz, yet!  (read that as 10 watts or
LESS!, used a SBE-50, the equivelent of a BELCOM LINER , just  the name was
changed when brought to the u.s.).
 I stand by what I say, and have the cards to prove it. The amp is there for
conditions that I describe as in the "Mental Telepathy" mode (tho, in truth,
at 1KW , you are into the "DO IT YOURSELF BAND OPENING."  To each his own,
but do you really need to subsidize the nearest POWER COMPANY, or have them
put a sub-station in yiour backyard for a handfull of contacts?   Best dx,
and enjoy tho at VHF, you REALLY FIND OUT WHAT IS DX!
30 , & 73  jim, nn7k

Tom, W8JI sent: Subject: Re: Fw: [Towertalk] Newbie Question