Re: [TowerTalk] crane collapse in Cupertino

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] crane collapse in Cupertino
From: "Kevin J. Rowett" <krowett@rowett.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:02:37 -0800

> The vertical section came loose from the main crane platform
> at the first section, about 10 feet off the ground.  I didn't
> see any broken metal.  It looked like the bolts were just taken
> out of the section joint, and the upper portion slipped off.
>
> The vertical section, and the extended arm fell on the structure
> being built.  No real damage evident to the structure though.

Closer examination (slower, closer drive-by) reveals in fact the
vertical truss just plain broken.  Looking closely, lots of twisted
metal, and broken sections.

> Repair will be pretty easy - get another crane in the pick up
> the pieces, put on new stick, and back to work.  Probably
> set the project back six months.

You can now clearly see where several pieces of the steel skeleton
of the new building portion are bent and twisted, where the crane
came down.

All of it is still there, so pictures should be showing up on
the internet.

If a failure report ever becomes available, this will be interesting
to read.

-KR- N6RCE