Re: [TowerTalk] Broken Self Supporting Crank Up Tower

To: Dave NØRQ <n0rq-1@dfwair.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Broken Self Supporting Crank Up Tower
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 08:55:12 -0500
It seems to me that the issue here is not the design of towers or the
ratings of same: it's of operator error in poorly planning the construction
of his crank-up tower and then leaving it up during conditions that
overloaded it.

That one overloaded tower failed is not a condemnation of the tower: it's
condemnation of the engineering, or lack thereof, that went into the
tower-raising process. Poor tower selection and excessive loading will cause
any tower to fail.

Even the Radio Shack tubular towers are good towers: just don't try to
housebracket at 10 feet a 70 footer with a C31XR at the top...

Be that as it may, I've yet to see a properly engineered Trylon system (and
system is the key word) fail. Even here where we do get ice and snow

73, kelly
ve4xt

ps: I'm also not aware of any Trylon crank-ups.