Re: [TowerTalk] Skyhawk, KT36XA, opinions requested

To: "Robert G. Strickland" <rcrgs@verizon.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Skyhawk, KT36XA, opinions requested
From: "Pete Raymond" <n4kw@wildblue.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 10:25:19 -0400
First let me say that I have no experience with the Skyhawk other than
knowing two fellow hams who owned one.
I have been in the process of downsizing and after speaking to a number of
people and researching what was available in the way of tribanders out there
I ordered a KT36XA.  I received mine in July of 2007, to coin the phrase
"plug and play" it is not.  However I enjoyed putting it together and I got
a good feeling about  the antenna after seeing all the extremely well built
parts, and the  thought that went into this antenna.  I will have a better
feel for the antenna after checking it out in the upcoming contest.  I have
installed it on a 70 foot crankup tiltover US tower and will say that my
initial testing is that the VSWR on 20, 15, and 10 meters is excellent and
the bandpass tuning of my amp loves it.  F/B is better than what the manual
showed.  I have a copy of the 2nd edition of the HF Tribander Performance
and there is some initial differences that I see compared to the test
results of the KT34XA and the KT36XA that I have.  My VSWR curves using an
AEA SWR-121, and a Bird #43 wattmeter are nothing like what is published in
the 2nd edition and I think that physically and electrically these antennas
appear to be different animals, or the test 34XA might have had some
problems.
     I think that you cannot go wrong either way Bob it all depends on your
requirements and what you are looking for in the way of antenna performance.
I am sure that either antenna will give you plenty of enjoyment.  Good luck.
73 Pete N4KW