Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Radials Insulated or Not

To: "Chuck" <wcmoore@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Radials Insulated or Not
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 07:29:24 -0800
Depending on your location, some work with the yellow pages to call around
to places that sell wire might find large quantities of bare copper cheaper
than the insulated stuff from Home Depot or Lowes.  And, in long continuous
spools as well. The price of wire in commercial quantities changes from week
to week with the price of copper.  On the other hand, HD does buy in
enormous quantities, and, their distribution and markup costs might be
lower.

I agree that getting it shipped would probably destroy any cost savings, so
you'd want places that you can go pick it up.

As far as insulated or not.. My gut feel is that it probably doesn't make a
huge difference. You're conducting RF, so DC contact isn't important,
there's a huge area that's buried. The copper will corrode a bit and
probably forms an insulator anyway The field gets there through the open air
in the first place, etc.  On the other hand, I have absolutely no
theoretical or experimental basis for making the statement.  NEC4 does model
insulated wires in the earth, and I've been meaning to run some comparisons,
but haven't got around to it.