Re: [TowerTalk] Fiber optics for amateur radio..

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fiber optics for amateur radio..
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 11:32:23 +0000
Fiber is nice for transmitting control and data information.  It of course
is a bit more complicated than just running copper with the same
information, but has advantages of being less susceptible to rfi.  There is
one big thing that everyone forgets though, you can't transmit POWER via
fiber.  You want to turn a rotor via fiber?  You have to run copper to the
rotor for power, need relays or some other electronic converter to take the
control from the fiber and convert to signals to turn on the relays.  So you
have taken what was a simple copper wire from a simple supply in the shack
and added at least 2 more complex (relatively) opto-electronic converters.
Want to get position indication back?  You need another fiber (or you could
re-use the same one at the expense of more complex converters), some kind of
digitizer or analog to fiber converter, calibration, and decoding to some
kind of display in the shack... much more complex and prone to failure than
a simple copper connection from a pot to the meter in the box.  Want to put
the rx/tx up the tower and feed by fiber... great, no feedline loss, but you
still have to run power up the tower to the box with the fiber so you still
have to worry about lightning protection, but now its in the direct line of
fire on the tower.  And it has to be all remotely controlled via fiber...
final transistors fail in the middle of a contest???  Can't just pull a
spare rig off the shelf and plug it in, you have to drag it up the tower.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net