Re: [TowerTalk] cutting 3/16 EHS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] cutting 3/16 EHS
From: "Kimo Chun" <kimo@lava.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 08:32:48 -1000
This is nothing new for many people on this reflector.

Odds are that the cutters you will find at most hardware stores

are not rated to cut 3/16 inch EHS (or any EHS for that matter)

They may do it but for how long? (re: Harbor Freight example).

I bought an HK Porter cutter. THEN I looked into it further.. :- (

The model that is rated to the hardness level for EHS costs considerably
more.

I doubt that the majority of stores will stock this as the demand for it is
low.

Well, at least in Hawaii, far from the mainstream and large markets.

Obviously, adhering to this rating recommendation is based on both

1) It will not work at all; or

2) It will do it on an intermittent or short duration basis

 ( you destroyed the blades in one job).

You must choose to risk number 1 or accept number 2.

The bottom line is, as always, "You get what you pay for."

You should also wrap tape around the EHS then cut it in the middle of the
tape.

That will prevent unraveling and pieces flying (at least individual
strands.) around.

For those of you who have dealt with a lot of EHS that either didn't come on
a spool

or the spool was too large to handle. our professional tower man, KH6ND, and
his

co-worker friend wired up a basket of no. 8 copper wire to dispense the EHS
around

the steel-strapped coil of EHS, then cut the bands of the shipped coil.

It worked like a champ and kept the nasty stuff in order. We hauled that
around in

a wagon hooked (and sometimes NOT !) to a lawn tractor.

We finished rebuilding one tower while adding two levels of Phillystran star
guying.

Two more towers to go..

Kimo  KH7U

At the KH6YY contest station.