[TowerTalk] Assistance with Big Project

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Assistance with Big Project
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 09:01:36 -0500
I am leading a group of hams into the local Dassel/Cokato MN High School at
11:20am to 1:20pm on Thursday.  The goal is to introduce ham radio to 784
kids in the upper grades.  We are setting up a special event station for the
event.

With Wx forcast for 45MPH sustained winds, the R-7 on a make-shift tripod on
the roof of the school is out of the question.   I intend to run about 220'
of RG8X to my vehicle parked in front of the school to a 17m hamstick on the
roof of my pickup.  The only place to park is going to be in front of the
school between two buildings.  God help us.....  Better yet, I need a killer
station that can copy and communicate with a small sampling of 784 high
school students that I can get to the mic...

I'll be at or near 18.135 between 11:20am and 1:20pm CST, which is the lunch
hour period.  The school lunch is only 0:35 minutes each so there are 4
periods where the kids eat and then browse the "activity fair" in the
hallway of the lunchroom.  We're up against stiff competition here guys.
There are model airplane groups, photo clubs, traveling arts, ski club, etc.
all showing off their best stuff.  If I can't make decent QSOs with somebody
other than across the street, this hobby is gonna look pretty stupid.

Look for me at or near the freq and time and you will have the opportunity
to talk with kids being introduced to ham radio for the first time.  I need
a killer signal from a long distance to look good.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,