[TowerTalk] mast recommendation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] mast recommendation
From: tony.kaz@verizon.net (N2TK, Tony)
Date: Tue Aug 5 07:15:46 2003
When I bought my 2" 4130 about 23 years ago, I had to take what was in
stock - 22'. To increase the length, I added a 12' piece of 1.5". Both were
.25" wall. I tried fitting the 1.5" inside the 2". It wouldn't quite fit. I
had to do some filing to get it to slip in a little. Then I took a large
sledge hammer and hammered the two pieces together so that there was 2' of
the 1.5" inside the 2".
Then I drilled a hole through both. Used a taper pin reamer and hammered in
a taper pin.
I have the rotor 8' down from the top of the tower. I insert the 2" end
inside the tower. This gives me 24' above the tower. Over the years I have
had several different types of HF antennas hanging off this mast. Never had
a problem.
The mast is on an 80' Rohn 45 tilt over tower. So, no trouble getting to the
top antennas.
The mast sure flexes in high wind, but nothing has broken, yet. Don't know
if what I did meets good mechanical design, but it has worked fine.
For comparison to antenna loads, I have a C31XR at 82', a MAG240N at 90' and
a WARC7 at 103'.
N2TK, Tony