Re: [TowerTalk] large loops

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, <j4976@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] large loops
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 22:12:31 -0400
> I have an area of about one acre which I could surround
with a wire
> perimeter.  I was wondering if it would be best to make a
single loop, or
> whether I should wrap 2 or three layers up into a helix?

I don't know why anyone would use two or three layers. The
end result is the same as a single turn, when all is said
and done, except you have more wire and more problems.

Gain always comes from physical space, and so 2000 feet of
wire in a two foot box is a two foot box of wire. The same
is true with the larger loop and multiple turns if it does
not occupy significantly more space you are best to use the
least wire you can.

> Also, how do I connect these things?  Should I run coax
and connect the
> center to one end and the braid to the other, or should I
use tv twin
> lead to get better bandwidth?  Should I connect one lead
and ground the
> other?  Do I need some kind of matching network for these,
or does a
> tuner work well?  Sorry, but I'm confused.  Any help is
appreciated.

I'd use ladder line and a good tuner with a good balun on
the output if you plan on operating over wide frequency
ranges.

73 Tom