[TowerTalk] Another Rotor Question... Ham IV vs. G-1000DXA

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Another Rotor Question... Ham IV vs. G-1000DXA
From: w5kp@swbell.net (Jerry Kincade)
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 17:48:15 -0500
Since August been turning a C3XL (75 lb, 33' boom, 10 elements, 80' up) with
a new 1000DXA. No problems so far, even on windy days. I like it. We'll see
what happens 5 years down the road. I do like the DC motor in the Yaesu
bettter than my previous Ham IV. Seems to be quieter and stronger. And the
control unit is MUCH nicer. I think the C3XL is at the outer edge of the
envelope for the 1000DXA, though, so it might die an early death this
winter. We'll see. Mounting either one inside the tower is no problem. The
tower end control connection on the Yaesu is a better setup (at least better
than my older Ham-IV with the open terminals on the bottom, and it needs no
"coast" or brake mods to work properly and has variable speed built in (I
leave mine on the slowest setting). It would irritate the hell out of me to
buy a product like a new Ham IV for $500 and still have to put two or three
mods in it to make it work like it should have in the first place.
73, Jerry W5KP

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----