Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Problems

To: "'Mickey Baker'" <fishflorida@gmail.com>, "Michael Goins" <wmgoins@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Problems
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 17:36:09 -0500
We used just such a rig back in 1997 when we hit a massive seam of ledge
digging a 4' deep 260' long trench for conduit runs to the tower. My
recollection was that it cost $750 per day and the machine was rare enough
in NH that it had to be obtained from a company in MA. I don't recall if the
transportation costs were included in the $750.

We also hit ledge when digging a 6' x 3' x 4' anchor hole for another tower
back in 2006. About 1/3 of the hole bordered on a large ledge deposit. This
time, the excavator operator was able to break up the rock into boulders
with his bucket and lift them out. A little corner of ledge remained
sticking into the hole, but the rebar cage cleared it and it probably added
structural strength to the anchor.

73, Dick WC1M