Re: [TowerTalk] [SPAM] Re: Recommendation for mast on bottommountrotator

To: "'Bill Turner'" <dezrat@copper.net>, <ve6jy@rac.ca>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [SPAM] Re: Recommendation for mast on bottommountrotator
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 23:06:41 -0500

What you need is a sliding joint in the mast near the top to take the weight
of the mast off the tower. A set of square tubes that telescope inside each
other, a couple of feet long, welded into the mast (or coupled with flanges)
would do the trick.
Look at a tractor supply store like "fleet farm" for PTO drive shafts that
go between the tractor PTO and the equipment behind the tractor. This is how
they are built. They can slide in and out several feet to accommodate
different equipment distances. They usually come with U joints on each end
which would not be needed for this application. They are built to transmit
many horse power.

With a sliding coupling like that the top thrust bearing could fully support
the antenna weight and the rotor could support the mast and no worry about
keeping loads balanced,

I am in the process of acquiring a tower with the rotor mounted at the
bottom with a water pipe run to the top. I need to figure out the same
thing.

73
Gary  K4FMX