Re: [TowerTalk] Underground Utilities

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Underground Utilities
From: "Tommy Alderman" <aldermant@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 19:05:57 -0400
I am surprised you don't teach your scout's how to 'witch'? It is super easy
and contrary to popular belief, you don't have to be 'possessed' to do
it..hihi! Just cut two pieces of copper wire (only because it is easy to cut
and will move freely) about 12" long (not precise and not a magic number).
Bend the wires 90 degrees at about the 5 inch point. Now hold the short end
if the wires loosely, one in each hand, and walk slowly over the suspected
area. Hold the wires just below your waist but hold your arms steady so you
don't move the wires up and down. As you approach a buried wire or a buried
water pipe, the long end of the wires will begin to move toward each other.
When you are directly over the buried wire/pipe, the copper wires will cross
each other. Now you know where your wire/pipe is buried.

It is best to start out by 'finding' a wire/pipe that you already know it's
location, for practice and to convince yourself it actually works!

Tom - W4BQF