[Towertalk] WX0B Six-Pack

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] WX0B Six-Pack
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 22:10:44 -0400
1) The design is not bad. Too many of them out there working FB for
that.

2) You say relays, assuming you really mean more than one exhibits the
problem.

It is unlikely that six relays are all bad with the same problem
unless there was a bad batch. As in Jay got a box full of 18 volters
mislabeled 12 or some such. That would have showed up as a serial run
of bad units, which he would have found about, and knowing him, would
have quickly owned up to and offered a replacement unit. Jay would
have been happy to get all the defective units back.

So I will speculate that there is something wrong in the common
return, or the power supply's output voltage is dropping drastically
under load.

Could be in the six pack box itself, as in solder joint, a bad piece
of wire (yes, even 3 feet of wire could have a conductor problem
inside the insulation. I once had a piece of zip cord that was MISSING
a foot of wire inside the insulation, as came from the factory).

With the voltage on one of the relays, measure the voltage AT THE
COIL. And measure it at the power supply. Low at the power supply,
chase the power supply problem. OK at power supply and low at the
coil, start chasing a common ground path problem.

Good luck & 73, Guy