[TowerTalk] Rebar cage for tower footing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rebar cage for tower footing
From: w9ol@billnjudy.com (FireBrick)
Date: Sun Aug 10 16:38:43 2003
As a retired Chicago licensed contractor, I can speak with some practical
knowledge.

DO NOT allow rebar to contact the earth. Moisture will rust the bar in
incredible time.
Rust can expand and produce unbelievable amounts of pressure which will
fracture the concrete.
I don't even like the idea of placing the rebar cage on concrete blocks as
there will be a seam for moisture to wick up.
I've had no trouble with either placing the cage into the hole, pouring
sufficient amount of concrete to cover the bottom and then wiggling the cage
up.
or
If a real heavy cage, support it from 2x4's laying across the hole with tie
wire, pour half the hole and cut the tie wire so it doesn't protrude to
within 3" of the concrete surface.

IF you have J bolts protruding above the concrete surface, use only the
highest grade of galvanized.

You may want to do an experiment. Take the normal grade foundation bolts and
leave the exposed to the weather for a month.
Then take a look and decide if you want to trust you tower to them.