Re: [TowerTalk] Broken Self Supporting Crank Up Tower

To: "'towertalk reflector'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Broken Self Supporting Crank Up Tower
From: Dave NØRQ <n0rq-1@dfwair.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 07:21:29 -0500
I'm not sure when Trylon started making crank-ups.  As far as
I know, they never have.  They make self-supporting
free-standing towers, as well as guyed commercials towers,
but not crankups.

Can they fall down under really bad conditions, or if something
goes wrong?  Yes, of course.  So do very large guyed towers,
including 100'+ ham towers, and 1500' foot commercial towers.
We've all seen the pictures, and we should plan and build to
avoid that.  But if it gets hit by an F5 tornado or by extremely
severe ice and wind, all you'll have left is a slab and scrap metal,
no matter how many and how thick your guy wires.

Dave NØRQ