[TowerTalk] copper pipe for SPG connect??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] copper pipe for SPG connect??
From: w7ry@earthlink.net (Jim)
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 16:04:36 -0800
The problem with using copper pipe is:

 # 1 the joints are only soldered. Solder is not good for a large surge
current. You need a good mechanical connection!  Solder does not fall into
this category!

# 2 is the turns that you put into the "cable". The Motorola R-56
specification is 8" minimum bend. This may be an NEC code too. Lightning
does not like sharp bends.

#3. You want large current carrying capacity. I would # 2 copper. Just as
cheap as 1 inch copper pipe and easier to work with and connect.

Good luck and stick with what works.

10 of thousands of wireless installations can't be wrong.

Pay a visit to a wireless site if you see someone working in one....They
most likely will take the time to give you the 5 cent tour. Especially a
site that houses a switch AKA MSO(Master Switching Office).

When "they" are protecting that much revenue earning potential, (wireless
minuets) there is LOTS! of grounding!!

73
Jim W7RY
Motorola