Re: [TowerTalk] Single Point Entrance Panel (??)

To: "John Dooley" <w6zip@hotmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Single Point Entrance Panel (??)
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 07:36:33 -0700
From: "John Dooley" <w6zip@hotmail.com>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2003 6:19 AM
Subject: [TowerTalk] Single Point Entrance Panel (??)

> When is a single point cabling entrance panel inside or outside? I would
> consider it overkill to cut the stucco out of the side of my house to
> provide for an entrance panel for my coax and rotor cables.

Clearly you aren't sufficiently "devoted to the cause"! <grin>

Would I have
> the same protection by mounting the lightning arrestors and isolator
> hardware in an electrical box with a ground bus and ground rod a few
> inches from the outside wall and then run my cabling in through a small
> access hole?

Sure.. nothing special about a big panel... it's the low impedance from the
arrestors to the lightning ground that's important.  That, and you want the
"point of arrest" to be as close to the rig as possible (so there's the
least possible TL between the arrestor and rig).  If you want to mount a box
a foot or so from the house (or, you could even put a "mud ring"  (or
something like a floor flange) into the stucco and run a short piece of
conduit or pipe out to the box.

I'd worry more about keeping insects and other vermin out of the house.

 Or am I to understand that something about the magnet field