Re: [TowerTalk] Heath Cantenna

To: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>,"Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Heath Cantenna
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 21:01:17 -0700
Shell Diala-AX is but one insulating oil... About $25/5 gallon pail last
time I bought it (from L.T. "Lee" Sawyer in Van Nuys, a Shell Jobber)..
Univolt is another brand. Castrol has a brand which I can't remember the
trade name for off hand...

There are various flavors of insulating oil (cable, transformer, and
capacitor) with somewhat different (but irrelevant for antenna/load/etc.
use) properties, unless you're building oil insulated coaxial cable.  Castor
Oil is also used as a dielectric (has a higher epsilon than mineral oil...)

Thermal properties are basically the same as USP mineral oil (drugstore
oil).  The big differences:

- preservative to keep the oil from going rancid (BHA, BHT, or Vitamin E,
typically)
- low water content (USP doesn't care about water content, as long as it's
not precipitating out) - has a HUGE effect on dielectric strength, but
probably no issue for cooling a dummy load.
- very low particulate contamination (dielectric strength)

The important thing for a load is probably the viscosity.... you want a
fairly low viscosity so it can circulate under thermal loads.

Diala-AX smells just like Vaseline (which is no surprise, since, chemically,
it's basically the same thing..just a different carbon chain length).

The cheapest easy source for relatively pure mineral oil is feed stores
(used as an animal laxative).

The cheapest source for not-so-pure mineral oil is the autoparts store...
get straight-weight non-detergent motor oil... It will still have additives,
but it would probably work in a load.