[TowerTalk] new AN-Wireless tower, floundaion question

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] new AN-Wireless tower, floundaion question
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 21:32:37 -0400
What happened to the LXC Prime Directive is "DO what the manufacturer says".
Do not violate that rule.

To: towertalk@contesting.com, jc-smith@comcast.net
From: K7LXC
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 13:08:36 EDT

        IMHO the tower base designs  that utilize some sort of
undercutting/belled out at the bottom are stupid  and potentially dangerous.
In
some designs
the base is 6-9 feet deep and being  that far down to hand dig the
undercutting is illegal under OSHA rules and  dangerous in any case.

        I know there's an  engineering reason for it but it was designed by
an engineer in an  air-conditioned office who never has to be out in the
field
to install one. My  suggestion would be to skip the undercutting and
compensate by making the  hole a little bigger. It's easier and safer too!

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams