[Towertalk] Iis a "free" tower a good deal?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Iis a "free" tower a good deal?
From: ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca (Kelly Taylor)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 21:56:18 -0500
Hi Jeff,

Good questions, all.

As long as the tower is in good shape, it shouldn't matter how old it is.
Check for rust. Check all cross-brace to leg connections for sturdiness. And
most important -- BUY A NEW BOLT KIT. On a freestanding tower such as the
BX, the bolts are to safety what the sun is to sunshine. IT IS NOT WORTH
REUSING OLD BOLTS. Buy from Rohn if you can. If you can't, only buy from
your most-trusted source for fasteners and duplicate the Rohn specs for
strength.

If you learn nothing else from this exchange, learn that. Do not reuse old
bolts. They are cheap enough that it's just not worth skimping.

I would be more concerned with the other components in the system. The
trapped tribander may be OK, or the element to boom clamps have been
overtightened, there's oxidation between element joints, the traps are
faulty, etc. Old antennas can be headaches, particularly for newcomers to
yagidom.

The rotator may be another area of concern. Before you put it back up, make
sure it doesn't need any dentistry. Ham-X style rotators can be prone to
lost teeth in the gears. Check the direction-indication pot to make sure
there's 500 ohms from one end to the other. A burned-out connection at one
end is not uncommon. Clean the pot's wiper arm. Make sure all the ball
bearings are there. Put it back together with a thin coat of white lithium
grease on the bearing races.

Rotators are repairable, so don't consider the state of the rotator as a
deal-breaker. Just be aware.

Also, plan on about $500-$600 worth of concrete and rebar as a base. Only do
what Rohn says to do for a base. Do not try to skimp here, either. You
wouldn't want the tower to take out your neighbour's house and then have
your insurance carrier deny liabilty coverage, would you? They won't have
much to argue with if you followed the manufacturer's instructions.

Here's my advice: as long as it's in OK shape, take the free tower and all
the other stuff. Check it all out, but don't be surprised if the HF beam has
to say bye-bye. The two-meter yagis should be OK, depending on the feed
system. Ringos are pretty indestructible.

If nothing else, the HF beam may provide enough aluminum for your interim
rotatable dipole.

Good luck. Don't be afraid to economize, just remember to do it properly.

73, kelly
ve4xt