[TowerTalk] My local tower restriction

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] My local tower restriction
From: jimlux@earthlink.net (Jim Lux)
Date: Fri Aug 15 11:13:26 2003
That is, you have a "fall radius within property lines" kind of
restrictions.

Short answer: it is unreasonable, because a totally laid out flat kind of
failure isn't particularly credible (depending on the kind of tower, etc.)
Towers tend to crumple or bend when failing, for a variety of interesting
fundamental physics reasons (moment of inertia of long thin objects).

However, practical answer: it's tough to prove it in a simple, effective
way.  You wind up having to point to other sources that say "it's ok" based
on previous experience, etc.   To "prove" that a particular installation is
"safe" from credible failures is an expensive and tedious proposition.

As a further practical matter, this "fall radius" kind of restriction isn't
applied to other, much more credible, risks: tall trees falling over, being
a most noticeable one; your house collapsing and falling into your
neighbor's property (hey, my setback is only 5 feet on the side of the
property, and the house is 25 feet high. It COULD happen, if a suitable
blast wave from something where to knock the house over on it's side)