Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Topband: Using 1/2" PVC Conduit Vs. theCritters Who

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Topband: Using 1/2" PVC Conduit Vs. theCritters Who Eat Coax
From: "Robert Shohet" <kq2m@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:31:23 -0500
Hi Pete,

> Have you tried any of the various animal repellents available at the local
> farm supply store?  I think they are blood-based, and they are supposed to
> be effective for most mammals.  They aren't very expensive, but I do
> suspect they would have to be reapplied at intervals, particularly with
> precipitation.

No I haven't tried them but that is an excellent suggestion, at least for
the close in stuff (within about 50' of my house).
The problem is that most of the damage occurs anywhere from 100' from the
house to 1500' from the house as my beverage feeds run up to 1500' into the
woods in several directions, with multiple beverages.  I don't think I would
be willing to spend the time or the money to deal with that, especially for
where the cable is "airborne".  The fieldmice just run up the cables and
start chewing wherever they please.

Tnx & 73

Bob KQ2M