[TowerTalk] Burnishing Aluminun

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Burnishing Aluminun
From: "Gary E. Jones, Ph.D." <garyejones@cmaaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 19:48:31 -0600
I am sure this has been covered before but need to know again.

What is the best method of burnishing aluminum? I have several antennas
that have had the elements partially disassembled, which I am now going
to put back together. The elements have been outside for several years
and there appears to be a little bit of aluminum oxide on the outer
surface of the elements (and I presume inside also).

I want to burnish the elements and remove any build up of aluminum oxide
before I apply noalox (sp?) compound to the elements and telescope them
back together. My inclination is to use:   1.) fine emery (sp?) cloth,
2.)  fine grain sandpapaer,  or    3.) steel wool.   I would guess the
steel wool is not good due to the dissimilar metals and the possibility
that some of the metal would be left on the elements.

What works best?

                 73

                                  Gary             W5FI

Gary and Dee Jones