Re: [TowerTalk] TT SHUTDOWN (was: 4 awg copper wire and Amp locks)

To: "'Robert Chudek - K0RC'" <k0rc@pclink.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TT SHUTDOWN (was: 4 awg copper wire and Amp locks)
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 21:25:12 -0500

> One interesting idea that did came out of this thread (so far) is the use
> of copper tubing instead of solid wire. I'd like to hear more comments
> pro/con about this. I would expect tubing would be more cost effective and
> equal in the capability to dissipate the energy in a strike.

Copper tubing is a waste of money. Buy copper strap instead. You get much
more surface area for your money. Copper tubing has one whole side (the
inside) that is wasted. Copper strap makes use of both sides.

Copper pipe used as ground rods is expensive also compared to a regular
ground rod. Driving copper pipe you risk that it will bend or fold up as it
is being driven. In anything but sand it is almost impossible to drive a
copper pipe to a useful depth. It is the length and depth of a ground rod
that counts not the surface area. And no you don't want to wash it in with a
hose either.

73
Gary  K4FMX