[TowerTalk] Vertical ground radials

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Vertical ground radials
From: richardw@mho.com (Rick Williams)
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 20:54:28 -0600
First, thanks to all who responded to my question concerning elevated and
ground radials.    I did not get one positve response about elevated
radials; so the answer is use ground radials.

One question that arises when using ground radials is:  assuming you are
using insulated wire for the radials (which I am), should the ends of the
wire be left floating or be grounded (or does it really not make any
difference).  I  have been striping the wire off the end and wrapping the
wire around a nail and driving it in the ground.   The only reason I have
done this so far is because it is easy to wrap the bare wire a couple times
around the nail and then back around the striped wire.

Any comments on this.

Dick Williams K8ZTT

The one area of interest and differing opinion is in the number of radials
to use.   Guy (K2AV) pretty much sumed it up by saying; "Quite a few will
say if you put down 60 radials with most directions out 130', your antenna
will play very well. EVERYONE will say
if you put down 120 radials with most directions out 130', your antenna will
play very well".

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----