[Towertalk] 20m Antennas for sailing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 20m Antennas for sailing
From: ac7nj@bentonrea.com (ac7nj@bentonrea.com)
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 07:21:10 -0700
Michael McAmis
I used to have a 45 foot ketch and tried many different antennas over
the years but none worked better than an insulated backstay. (long wire)
The antenna isn't the hard part the counterpoise is. A sail boat on the
ocean is floating on a great counterpoise the trick is connecting to it.
There are grounding through hull fittings made for the job they have a
porous texture and equal a large area. (magic)Next problem is the feed
line many boaters will use coax from a tuner, at the rig down below, and
just use the center conductor. In fact I did it that way for many years
but when the SGC tuner came out I located it just under the deck at the
backstay and ran a feed line from it to the backstay this combination
was the best. The other suggestion I have is to leave the lower
insulator low enough to reach the connection to the backstay is
impossible to waterproof or protect from corrosion occasional cleaning
worked best for me.

Randy
AC7NJ