Re: [TowerTalk] Birds and Towers

To: "'Cam and Juli Hedrick'" <walnutcreek@appstate.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Birds and Towers
From: <rdhinkle@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 22:47:10 -0500
You certainly deserve a pass on that... Obviously you've created a great
hunting perch for red-tails!

But... Unless you get there first thing in the morning, the assorted mice,
shrews, skunks, raccoons, weasels, grackles, crows and other scavengers tend
to clean 'em up pretty quickly. Plus it can be a little tough to find birds
that are often 3-5 inches long laying dead in the grass. And again, there
are NEVER "piles of little birds" anywhere, and they're not always directly
under the tower. If they whack into it at 600 feet or so, they're likely to
drift down wind as they fall... Again, the things only weigh a few ounces.
Any remember that the guy wires take a number of them too, and they fall
away from the tower too. And, I think we can agree that except for the
biggest contest stations, most ham towers are generally WAY below migration
altitude!

Shacks are never in the way of the birds, sometimes depending on lighting
the windows look like openings when it's dark inside, so they try to fly
through (I know, bad move on their part....).

Preventing windows strikes isn't hard -- there are some nifty stickers
shaped and sized like maple leaves available now that look like frosted
glass to us, but appear blue in daylight to birds (and bugs). We've had 18
months of no window strikes here using them, and they're attractive to boot.

Cheers....Bob

Bob Hinkle, KK8ZZ
Solon, Ohio 44139
Grid: EN91gj